Old January 28th 05, 09:53 PM
Nyssa

What's happening in Canada is simply this: A survey was done and then a
proposal. In both cases, there was clear majority support to end
*mandatory* code testing for a ham license.

But when such surveys and proposals are done here in the USA, there is
no clear majority to end the code test.

However, there's a big difference:

IIRC, the RAC would *raise* the written requirements, and allow a
prospective ham to skip the code test if they scored high enough on the
written.

That's a concept that hasn't been discussed much, if at all, outside of
Canada. Imagine such a system in the USA: Perhaps we could have it that
if you get a 90 or better on your General, you can skip Element 1. Or
maybe create a new written test that could be taken *instead of*
Element 1, and let the new ham decide which test to take - code, or the
additional written.

Could we all live with that?

You've hit on exactly the reason I can't get behind the
ARRL's motion to do away with Element 1 for General Class
and *automatically* upgrading current Techs to General.

There should still be a requirement to pass an additional
test, be it the current Element 3 or an equivalent technical
exam before the no-code Techs get General priviledges.

No "freebies." If folks want HF, they must at least pass
a technical test to show that they understand the information
and the responsibilies that go with the upgrade.

Funny, I didn't notice the ARRL saying that current General
holders should be bumped up to Extra class if the code
goes away. The General holders would have their class watered
down even more with the sudden influx of newly minted
Techs-to-Generals though.

If the code must go, let it go, but *don't* ditch the
requirements for the other technical elements. At least
still make the Techs *earn* the upgrade to HF by showing
some mastery of the basic knowledge they'll need to use it
properly.

Nyssa - K4HZY (Jr.)