Old August 27th 03, 04:04 PM
W5DXP

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Hm, this has me puzzled.

:-) Good one, Roy. :-)

Assuming a purely real Z0, you're taking the
square roots of two purely real quantities, each of which can have two
values, and speaking of a phase angle between them. Where in the process
did they pick up phase information? Or do you just mean when one is the
negative of the other? If so, how do you tell -- each has two roots,
that is, Sqrt(Pfwd*Z0) can be either positive or negative, and so can
Sqrt(Pfref*Z0). How do you know when one is the negative of the other?

V^2/Z0=P is a well known equation (so is I^2*Z0=P). These are *RMS* values.
So the RMS voltage is V = Sqrt(Pfwd*Z0). Root Mean Square AC voltages are
equivalent to DC voltages in power dissipation and are generally considered
to be positive values because they are the sum of squared terms. We can turn
those RMS voltages into phasors by adding the phase angles. When Vfwd+Vref = Vmax,
Vfwd and Vref are in phase (at the SWR voltage maximum point). When Vfwd+Vref = Vmin,
Vfwd and Vref are 180 degrees out of phase (at the SWR voltage minimum point).
Vmax/Vmin = VSWR. Please feel free to pull my leg again anytime. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp