Old January 29th 05, 05:39 AM
Soliloquy

Leonard Martin wrote in
:

I just have it connected to the High Impedence jack. One time (on the
advice of a local HAM), I just terminated it with a Bananna Plug and
pushed it into the center of the coax connector. I really didn't see much
difference. My Yaesu FRG-100 has a selector on the back of the radio that
needs to be set depending on the jack in use. The Icom R-75 has an
antenna selector button and is represented in the LCD display as well. I
need to specify Antenna 2 for the high impedence input that I use,
otherwise the reception is almost nil. If the coax jack was used, Antenna
1 would be selected.

The indoor antenna is terminated in the same way.

For the outdoor antenna, the wire itself comes into the house and right
to the radio. It comes through a small opening in the frame of the vinyl
window, and comes across the baseboard to the radio. There is no metal
nearby, and I have no problem with noise generated in the house,
otherwise I would use coax until it was outside the house.

With the outdoor antenna, when I was renting a home with a very tiny back
yard, I ran 2 outdoor antennas. One was on the diagonal across the yard,
the other ran to the 4 conners of the yard. They in turn ran to a switch
that allowed me to select which antenna I wanted to use. The shorter
antenna actually came in handy often, producing stronger signals on
certain frequencies.

Soliloquy

I have an outdoor wire antenna, about 75 feet in length, connected to
one radio. The other radio is used with a strictly indoor antenna.
This consists of an 18 guage insulated wire (the wire is available in
white from Radio Shack)that goes once around the room at ceiling
height.

Hey, do you connect this to your radio in any special way? I just
built one like this, and I'm trying to decide how to feed it.

Leonard