Old January 29th 05, 11:32 PM
Ralph Mowery

It does not make any differance. The first RF amplifier stage usually sets
the basic sensitivity . As most of the crystal sets are much older than the
digital ones , the digital ones may be more sensitive due to beter
transistors and/or design in the rf stages. If the crystal set is tuned to
one frequency only, then it may be more sensitive than the digital one that
covers a very wide frequency range.

"John Schneider" wrote in message
I know the answer seems rather obvious, but I was wondering if anyone

might
be able to advise me as to which of the two receiving methods is the most
sensitive. Would a quality scanner with a frequency crystal (VHF)
outperform a digital scanner with all other things being equal (or at

least
as equal as possible)?

John