Old December 30th 04, 08:21 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:41:40 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

based on sulphuric acid, timber planks and coal tar

Hi Reggie,

I can see why you would have such trouble with Google in this regard.
The words tar and sulphuric acid would lead to a jillion pages about
creosote production and the words wood and sulphuric acid would lead
to a mega-jillion pages about paper production. I spent a lot of time
spilling H2SO4 on me while measuring the K and Kappa of paper.

Anyway, it seems that lead kiln towers (upwards to 5 stories tall)
were used in acid production well into the mid century:
http://www.ul.ie/~childsp/CinA/Issue...mClassics.html

Some odd facts:
In 1746, John Roebuck established the lead chamber process,

In 1831, the modern Contact Process was patented by Peregrine
Phillips, a British vinegar merchant

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC