Old December 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Richard Harrison

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"My favorite technological American Hero is a name which I cannot
remember at present and I seldom have much success with Google."

The very successful American producer of sulphuric acid shares a name
made famous by an English carpenter who won the prize offered for the
first chronometer or orher means accurate enough to determine one`s
position at sea. John Harrison was that carpenter. His inspired and
determined work is honored at the British National Maritime Museum at
Greenwich. The scientific community would not believe that the carpenter
clod had succeeded, Besides, the instrument didn`t look like a
chronometer. Ir looked more like a pocket watch. So, Harrison was only
able to collect his entire prize after an audience with the king who
agreed he had won. The hing declared: "By God, you shall have your
prize!"

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI