Old January 30th 05, 05:22 PM
Jeff

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message news:d68Ld.7697

The popular discones stop functioning as a discone around 130 MHz. The
vertical section supplied with some operates as a 1/4 wave radiator and the
cone rods as a limited counterpoise- very narrow bandwidth
If you want to extend the range of the discone below 130 MHz, you need to
appropriatly lenghten not only the cone section, but also increase the size
of the disc- w/o doing this, you no longer have a discone antenna, and the
feedline will now become part of the antenna.

Dale W4OP

I have used my discone (one with the vertical whip) on 6 meters with
a 2 to 1 swr. Although it was very narrow banded there. If memory
serves me it was in the 52mhz area that it worked. Outside of that 52mhz
the swr curve was pretty much V shaped with the swr rising precipitously.
The effective bandwidth was somewhere between 500Kc to 1 Mhz.

Jeff