Old January 30th 05, 04:38 PM
Joel Kolstad

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message
Also, digital radio might not have the same fading and static crashes that
analog radio has, but I can't imagine how digital radio can be free from
dropouts and digital SW certainly can't fix the occasional dead
propagation
problem.

It can't, of course, but digital broadcasts can still sound perfect when the
signal to noise ratio of the transmission is such that no human could make
anything whatsoever out of a standard AM or FM transmission.

The same could be said for direct broadcast satellites. Such satellites
would provide highly reliable, clear sounding radio (or TV!}.

Good point. I suppose some of the push for DRM is so that the terrestial
broadcasters can actually compete with satellite radio, just as cable TV in
the US has been forced to upgrade its services given the competition from
the DBS services.

---Joel