Old January 31st 05, 07:15 AM
Buck

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:24:00 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Buck wrote:
I have been looking at OCF dipoles and there are some that don't
appear to need a tuner when using a 6:1 balun.

I ran an OCF in college with a 6:1 air core balun from
Heathkit. It worked well but my transmitter had a
built in adjustable pi-net tuner. What are the dimensions
of the above OCF that you have described? Most OCF's that
I have modeled work just as well with a 4:1 balun as they
do with a 6:1 balun.

Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, describes a 6.25:1 balun in "Building
and Using Baluns and Ununs". It is a 1:1.56 UNUN followed
by a 1:4 BALUN.

This is the antenna I want to copy before I start experimenting:
http://hamcall.net/6bandmegpole.html

I don't have a lot of information about baluns. What I have is mostly
related to Toroid baluns. I like the air coil idea in spite of the
size requirements. If additional turns or less turns change the balun
ratio, I would be interested to know as I can experiment and try
variations.

Thanks.

--
73 for now