Old February 1st 05, 12:39 AM
R.F. Collins

On 30 Jan 2005 19:37:29 -0800, wrote:

I started thinking about this tonight. I was tuning around with a Lowe
HF-150, comparing it with some other receivers, and was struck by how
quiet the 150 is--and by what an advantage this is when it comes to
resolving weak AM signals.

So, just out of curiosity, what's the quietest receiver you've used
and/or owned?

I actually use the Ten Tec Orion more for SW listening than amateur
use. It has the best audio I have ever heard from a receiver. I use an
Icom 756 Pro II for contacts because of its ergonomics even though the
filters and audio are not as good as the Ten Tec. So there are many
things to consider when looking at a radio.

Oh yeah. If you like boat anchors you will be happy with the Ten-Tec
Orion. It is huge. It takes up more desk space than my linear amp.

Jim