Old February 1st 05, 06:56 AM
starman

Interesting thing happened tonight. For some time I've been using a
speaker that's received plenty of criticism: the Drake MS8. Earlier
tonight I heard VOIRI (Voice of the Islamic Rep. of Iran) on 6120 khz
and the signal was incredibly strong and clear. I decided to sit back
and listen, but the announcer's voice was just so bassy and 'muffled'
sounding that it wasn't always easy to understand her.

So, I decided to get an amplified Sony speaker out of my closet and
hook it up to my R8B. The Sony speaker definitely produced a sound that
was somehow 'smaller'. Even so, the announcer's speech was perfectly
intelligible on the Sony, while it wasn't on the MS8. From now on, I
think I'm just going to use the Sony speaker. I think there are still
better speakers out there and when I find one I'll 'trade up'; but for
now the Sony will do.

I guess the lesson here is: Don't overlook the significance of your
speaker!

Steve

Good advice. You could replace the speaker inside the MS8 (box) with one
that has a tweeter (coaxial) and probably achieve the same result. Then
you would have an MS8 that sounds like a better speaker but still
matches the R8B.