Old February 1st 05, 07:07 AM
starman

Howard wrote:

On 31 Jan 2005 19:10:36 -0800, "JShorr" wrote:

I just purchased (though it hasn't yet arrived) my first SW radio, the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

I currently use a little Uniden Sportcat to scan a couple of
police/emergency and ham frequencies. Would it be safe to give the
SportCat to my little nephew, or are there things that it will pick up
that the ICF-SW7600GR will not?

Also, I ordered a copy of Passport 2005 -- if you had to reccomend just
one or two more books or websites (hopefully websites) what would you
reccomend for the beginner?

The Sportcat is for VHF/UHF and the 7600 for HF (shortwave); totally
different frequency ranges. You won't receive police/fire/VHF-marine
etc with the Sony so if that capability is important to you hold onto
the scanner. Of course, you could still give it to your nephew and
replace it with a new scanner for yourself.

You can buy scanners with complete frequency coverage (including
shortwave), like 100-Khz to 1300-Mhz. One model is the Yupiteru-7100E.
Costs about $300-US.