Old February 1st 05, 02:21 PM
W Page Pyne

If cheap is the main consideration and you can do without the Digital
Readout ...here are two Oldies but goodies that at times can be found on
Ebay at under $100.

First is the Realistic DX-160 . Its solid state and doesn't take a lot of
shelf space and is more sensitive than most portables out there. It also has
a BFO which can be used for SSB and CW reception. While not the most
selective, it beats the cheap portables.

Another radio is of the Boat Anchor variety. Its bigger and bulky and uses
TUBES. Its a National NC-183D. It is both selective and very sensitive below
20 MHz or so. Its a real radio for AM Broadcast Band reception too. Wish I
still had mine.

"JShorr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a receiver (sub 150$us) that is, far and a way, the best one
out there? I would really like to start playing around with shortwave
radio, but I can't seem to find a radio that doesn't have several
negative reviews...