Old February 1st 05, 06:18 PM
Michael Black

Mark Zenier ) writes:
In article .com,
wrote:
Thanks for the replies... So what does 50,000 mfd translate to in uF?
..5? .05?

50,000 uF. Probably about the size of small can of V8 juice, given the
voltage rating you'd use in a car (16 or 25 volts?). The newer they are,
the smaller they get, so I might be showing my age.

The first power supply I built, in the early seventies, I bought at
a hamfest a 10,000uF capacitor with about a 16v rating. Big stuff at
the time. It's the size of a Coke can, and has those screw terminals.
"Computer grade" was what similar capacitors in the surplus store
ads were called.

Pretty useless these days, given that you can get bigger capacitance
and a higher voltage rating in a much smaller package.

Micahel