Old February 2nd 05, 12:26 AM
Tom Sevart

"pak" wrote in message
i just started listening to shortwave again after being away from it
for aobut 10 years. I seem to notice that the short wave bands are
totally dominated by nothing but religious subjects and shows. Am I
just listening at the wroing time or wrong bands or does anyone agree
with this observation?

Welcome to the world of shortwave broadcast. Yes, there are way too many
religious broadcasters on shortwave nowadays, most of them from the US
beaming programs to primarily US audiences even though the FCC says it's
illegal to broadcast to US audiences on shortwave.

However, there are many other english-language programs from other stations
out there, you just have to search through and find them. When you find
them, the programming can be entertaining. 7415 evenings has WBCQ from
Maine with various types of programs, even though they also carry religious
programming.

The reason there is so much religious programming on shortwave is because
the only groups that can reliably raise the money needed to air such
programs on shortwave stations are religious groups, not to mention the
ambition of spreading their message to a worldwide audience.

So you can either search for the non-religious programs to listen to, or
else listen to utility stations like I do. All the religious programming is
probably one reason I never really got into SWBC listening and just stuck
with the utes.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS