Old February 2nd 05, 12:50 AM
B. Williams

Before leaving the topic of noise and quiet receivers, I have a
question. Tonight I was listening to a couple of Spanish language
stations on 6185 and 6125 khz. On the Drake R8B, there was a

background
noise behind these signals and in fact behind most of the signals on
this particular band. (It sounds like atmospheric noise--a vague,

hissy
sound that fades in and out a bit, just as the signal fades in and
out). On the other hand, when I listened to these two stations on the
Lowe HF-150, there was almost no trace of the noise. Both receivers
were connected to the same antenna. I experimented with different

power
sources. Powering the R8B from it's internal power supply vs. an
external power supply didn't have any effect on what I heard.

This noise isn't always there, although I've heard it before. What
puzzles me is the Lowe receiver's failure to be affected by it. Why

was
it interfering with the Drake, but not the Lowe? The receivers were
sitting right next to each other (I tried separating them, just for

the
heck of it, but it made no difference.)

Any thoughts?

Steve

Steve,

If you are picking up noise off the printer and have no additional
AC outlets. Try getting a Notebook Surge Station and Noise Filter
from Radio Shack, part nbr 61-2327. They can cut alot of the AC noise.
BW