Old February 2nd 05, 12:50 AM
Brian Hill

Default opinion on radios for new listeners

There's always a lot of talk about what radio is better or best or which
radio should I buy. I have a hard time giving advice on the subject because
there are just too damn many variables and allot of new hobbyist get the
idea that if they shell out big $ and buy the latest state of the art radio
that all their troubles will be over and they can finally collect that
elusive QSL. Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying the most radio you
can but lets face it most peoples reception problems have little to do with
the radio and there are plenty of good radios to choose from and the
differences of one good radio compared to the other is hard to define unless
you got some experience and a good ant/grd etc... The reason I'm saying all
this has to do with these comparisons like the R-75 with Kiwa mods compared
to the R-8B etc... Yea the R-8B has the edge but not by such a margin that a
new listener should rule out the R-75 or other good rigs. Yes I know you
seasoned vets are going " Brian we know all this but what's your point?" My
point is there are a lot of new SW listeners lurking around here and I want
them to know that there are a lot of good results being obtained with a lot
of older gear and good antennas. I've been DXing for a long time and all I
use is an old R-5000 with a very good ant system and a few audio mods and
I'll run with the best of them. Moral is- Buy as much radio as you can
afford but $s don't garentee results, that takes experimenting , research
and work to get the weak ones.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian