Old February 2nd 05, 04:41 PM
clvrmnky

On 02/02/2005 11:13 AM, Caveat Lector wrote:
Ah of course " A straight key does not need a keyer. Paddles do."

Sorry over looked that question

Right, thanks. This is what I thought, but needed confirmation from
someone who knows. Right now I'm at a point where I got a pretty good
handle on amateur radio in the abstract, but there are some specifics
that I've had to dig around for on the beginner pages.

I'm just thinking ahead to when I'll be starting CW training; I've read
some screeds that suggest I just start with a keyer and a paddle (of
some sort) because that is where I'll end up anyway. This seems
reasonable, even if I have a rather romantic idea of hand-made dits and
dahs with a straight key.

It is a cheap alternative, though, and I'm thinking that learning good
(enough) rhythm and timing will serve me well in the future. On the
other hand, I'm a musician and computer programmer and appreciate how
proper equipment can minimize terrible damage to nerves and joints.

If only for this reason I'm leaning toward a single-lever paddle. The
minimal side-to-side motion /seems/ healthier, and I'm not sure I "get"
the iambic squeeze method. Hearing it described makes my thumb joint
hurt. I guess the notion is you can use double-lever paddle like a
single until you want to introduce the squeeze method. Like I said:
only thinking about the future.

I know this makes me sounds like a complete newbie and everyone has
heard this all before. Please forgive my mutterings. In my defence,
I'm quite excited about amateur radio, like I was when I was 10 years
old. My SO doesn't really understand why I'm doing this. I don't talk
on the phone very much, or use the internet to "chat" at all. She's
puzzled why I'd want to be a "ham" and talk to strangers in even
stranger code.

She has a point, I guess. Perhaps that's a subject for a future
posting. Thanks for listening.
--
Clever "I won't sign my postings '73' until I get my callsign" Monkey