Old February 2nd 05, 07:24 PM
Jim Phelps

"Charlie" wrote in message
Hi Jim and thanks for the reply. It is more than just a numbers thing. The
ICOM website says to use a buffer if you are using a "non-Icom linear".
They don't bother to specify which non-Icom amps need a buffer . Obviously
the specs for each certain ly indicate no need. I have had some hams email
me saying to use a buffer "just in case". I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Good luck on the license upgrades... 73 / DX

It shouldn't take more than a couple of dollars in parts to build you own if
you feel it's necessary. All you really need is a 12 volt relay. In the
Icom 756 Pro III manual it says to use a larger relay if these parameters
are exceeded (pg. 17).

I (in a former job), was a MARS director for one of the largest USAF bases
in the US (employment wise it was the largest and the sixth largest employer
in the state, Damn, I miss DARA and the Xenia groups). We used commercial
solid state rigs (in our case TS-440's) to excite Rockwell linears. We
didn't have any troubles operating at much higher (and closer to the max)
voltages and sink currents. I also miss the HyGain Discoverer73 we put up.
3 elements on 40 meters (well, just outside the band) and 1.5 kw PEP. We
were heard where ever we wanted to be.