Old February 2nd 05, 09:49 PM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
On the difference between the Europa and the regular HF-150, I'd take the
Europa. The input filtering is likely to be more useful than any loss in
sensitivity.

He says:
"Incorporating these RF bandpass filters should theoretically reduce
spurious responses and noise. I compared the '150E to my early model
'150. When the original '150 was connected to my 90/60 meter parallel
dipole, there were several frequencies below 3 MHz which had images of
local broadcasters. With the '150E , there were no audible images
present, but there was increased noise on the same frequencies".

and

"I found that the original HF-150 was about 0.5 microvolts more
sensitive across the HF spectrum, however, the HF-150E was within
specification of less than two microvolts throughout the HF spectrum, and
was typically in the range of one microvolt. I think that the higher
sensitivity of the original may not be a virtue, given the radio's
susceptibility for overloading. I don't think that this difference is
significant, and switching in the pre-amp on the HF-150E improved the
sensitivity to the level of the '150 without pre-amp"

So basically he had to switch on the pre amp to bring it up to the 150's
sensitivity. If you don't live in areas with strong stations, I'd rather
have the sensitivity.

Plus, I didn't know the backlight option can't be turned off in the E.
So, it will drain your batteries if you ever use it as a portable.

Lucky

I'd be interested in hearing more about the "increased noise" in the
Europa - the reviewer didn't say anything other than he noticed it. Who
knows if it's significant?

I bring plenty of power for recharging battery packs when I'm camping. I'd
gladly trade the convenience of a backlight for a little battery drain.

Unless you've taken heroic measures or live in the woods, odds are the
noise floor for your antenna will be higher than 2 microvolts.

My primary home antenna is 225 feet away from the house, with underground
coax, and according to my Harris, the noise floor is right around the
limit of the Europa.

If you were using the radio to chase DX in the woods, you could use an
outboard preamp or an active antenna.

When I was looking for a HF-150e or a 7030+ my primary concern was finding
a good radio for use when camping, and for when I'm hanging out by the
pool or fishing for snook on the other side of Alligator Alley.

The HF-150e had the edge on size and would probably have cost less, the
7030+ had the edge on performance, and availability.

Both radios were designed by the same person.

Yes who knows how significant the noise was but if he noticed it, it must of
stood out enough. Still, you can't really be sure it can be reproduced on
all the E models unless you had at least 3 to test it on at the very same
time.

But as they said it was produced mainly for the Euro market where conditions
are different then where we live. With that gothic gold "Europa" label
across the radio it kinda reminds of me of a mini Dracula's coffin

Mark you don't mean Alligator Alley in Florida do you? Nah they got
alligators in alley's in most states nowadays...

Lucky