Old February 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
BDK

In article .com,
says...
Double conversion, triple conversion, quadruple conversion, sets that
sell for $50.00, sets that sell for 10,000.00! Antennas 3 inches long,
100 feet long, 3 inches high, or 3 miles high! For a beginner, none of
it really matters. What DOES matter? EXPERIENCE. That is all.

There is no substitute for time and experience and there is no
"short-cut," either. And that applies to ANYTHING worth doing!

If a beginner is truly interested in the hobby, he or she should just
do a little research, perhaps on this group, or, better, in PASSPORT
and WRTH, and make a reasonable choice in radios and antennas. It isn't
too hard. Most of them out there are pretty good. I, as does everyone
else here, have my opinions, but, in the end, for a beginner, it just
doesn't matter, within reason.

Then, as he/she becomes EXPERIENCED with the radio they have,
REGARDLESS of what it is, and with short wave listening in general, why
any future equipment "upgrades" will take care of themselves.
Just my thoughts.

Best,

Joe

Yeah, but my feelings are that buying an elcheapo portable, or even a
fairly decent one, is a mistake. They don't work very well, don't hold
up all that great for the most part, and lose their value pretty
rapidly.

There are tons of arrox. $300 used R71A's, Kenwood R5000's and others
that are good enough to keep for a while, and can be sold for basically
what you pay for them anytime. I have a R71A that I bought for a really
cheap price. It had a problem in the PS section that seemed to confound
several techs at a couple of places that tried to fix it. It was a very
easy fix (an hour total time) and I will get 2-3 times what I paid when
I sell it one of these days..if I do sell it..

A friend wanted to try SW a while back, and he bought a very nice NRD-
525 off Ebay for about 400 bucks. After a year or so, he wanted out, and
made 20 bucks profit when he put it on Ebay. Get paid to listen, not a
bad deal..

BDK