Old February 3rd 05, 04:18 AM
Brian Denley

Geoff Burginon wrote:

Which particular one of Collins receivers? What was the actual
specified noise floor in figures? Frankly, I doubt you can get much
lower than the WinRadio G313i -138 dBm.

Read also this:

"If I had to choose between a Collins 95S-1 and the WR-G303i (ignoring
the obvious fact that the 95S-1 tunes to 2 GHz), I would take the
WR-G303i."

John Wilson, ShortWave Magazine
(more details on http://www.winradio.com/pdf/g303i-review-swm.pdf )

And this in fact refers to the *predecessor" of the WR-G313i, which is
a much better radio still - 5 stars by WRTH.

My WR-G313i does indeed have the advertized -138dBm noise floor, and
even the S-meter reliably measures down to that level - with 1dB
accuracy.

Not speaking of the ultra-sharp continuously variable IF filters down
to 1Hz bandwith.

Now *that's* what I'd call winning the contest hands down. ;-)

Geoff

Geoff:
We are talking about the legendary R-390 receiver that Collins designed fo
the US military. These were manufactured by Collins and other companies and
cost many thousands each. Their ability to hear weak signals remains
unmatched to this day. It's a vacuum tube based receiver and extremely
quiet.
--
Brian Denley