Old February 3rd 05, 04:46 AM
Brian Denley

Geoff Burginon wrote:

Which particular one of Collins receivers? What was the actual
specified noise floor in figures? Frankly, I doubt you can get much
lower than the WinRadio G313i -138 dBm.

Read also this:

"If I had to choose between a Collins 95S-1 and the WR-G303i (ignoring
the obvious fact that the 95S-1 tunes to 2 GHz), I would take the
WR-G303i."

John Wilson, ShortWave Magazine
(more details on http://www.winradio.com/pdf/g303i-review-swm.pdf )

And this in fact refers to the *predecessor" of the WR-G313i, which is
a much better radio still - 5 stars by WRTH.

My WR-G313i does indeed have the advertized -138dBm noise floor, and
even the S-meter reliably measures down to that level - with 1dB
accuracy.

Not speaking of the ultra-sharp continuously variable IF filters down
to 1Hz bandwith.

Now *that's* what I'd call winning the contest hands down. ;-)

Geoff

Geoff:

-143 dB was the noise floor of the R-390A, according to web info.
Otherwise, of course, it was an old tube (32 of them!) boatanchor with
mechanical tuning, weighed a ton, and had none of the amenities that modern
digital radios provide. But it WAS quiet!

--
Brian Denley