Old January 3rd 05, 06:14 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Ken" wrote in message
I am trying to get the best performance from my Ten Tec RX-320 when it
is connected to my shack's QRP 40M extended double zepp (176 ft
overall, fed with 300 ohm twinlead).

Performance on HF improved when I inserted an LDG 4:1 balun. I
substituted a $3 TV balun (300/75) and the improvment remained.

However, I noticed that VLF/LF -- for which my radio has the AMRAD mod
-- has gone more or less deaf. I can't even hear Loran on 100 kHz;
without the balun it was 59. BCB -- already attenuated with an I.C.E.
BCB filter but also 59 -- has also gotten worse.

Why would a balun made for high frequency impede low frequency (i.e.
below 1.5 kHz)?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

Ken,
I swept a pair of 300:75 Ohm TV baluns back/back on an HP network analyzer
once. As I recall, they were useless below about 7 MHz.

Tam/WB2TT