Old February 3rd 05, 04:48 PM
uncle arnie

Ink addict wrote:

I know this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask again.
The only place i can have an antenna at the place I live is in the same
room as my radio so I am wondering if I can run a wire around the room?
Can I bend it around the corners to make it longer or just run a staight
piece along one wall.
TIA
Bob

Best advice is to experiment. Depending on where you live, you will have
better results with different lengths of wire. If in a high signal area,
too much wire may overload the receiver and magnify noise. If in medium or
low, longer is often better. Bends in the wire will changes the reception
to some degree. I have about 100 m around the outside of my house eaves
and the looping nature doesn't harm reception, but this is for my location:
far from sources of interference and also from signals I want to hear.

The length of wire will also depend on your receiver. Portables in general
may not benefit from long aerials. I use the around the house wire for an
Icom R-75. With portables (YB400, ATS909, ATS404) I use the roll up wires
that come with these units, and it is more than enough.