Old February 4th 05, 03:47 AM
Eric F. Richards

BDK wrote:

Yeah, but my feelings are that buying an elcheapo portable, or even a
fairly decent one, is a mistake. They don't work very well, don't hold
up all that great for the most part, and lose their value pretty
rapidly.

There are tons of arrox. $300 used R71A's, Kenwood R5000's and others
that are good enough to keep for a while, and can be sold for basically
what you pay for them anytime. I have a R71A that I bought for a really
cheap price. It had a problem in the PS section that seemed to confound
several techs at a couple of places that tried to fix it. It was a very
easy fix (an hour total time) and I will get 2-3 times what I paid when
I sell it one of these days..if I do sell it..

A friend wanted to try SW a while back, and he bought a very nice NRD-
525 off Ebay for about 400 bucks. After a year or so, he wanted out, and
made 20 bucks profit when he put it on Ebay. Get paid to listen, not a
bad deal..

BDK

Yeah, I tried to tell that to Judah. He must have spent somewhere
between $500 and $1000 on cheap doorstop-radios. Think what perusal
of a hamfest or two would have done with well-spent $200. Not to
mention to the wealth of knowledge he'd pick up there.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940