Old February 4th 05, 02:24 PM
Blue Cat

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
WFAN 660 NYC has been like a local at 5:30am in Central Ohio the
past few days, and today is barely audible over Cubans and probably
a Pittsburgh station (no station ID), which don't seem to be any
stronger than usual. It's just that WFAN is really weak.

But looking at all the propagation conditions I can find, ie.
mag storms (none, in fact unusually quiet) and Xrays (none, quiet),
nothing changed from eg. yesterday to today.

So what indicator is there that I'm not seeing?

These uncertaincies in propagation in the medium wave band makes dx'ing that
band a challenging proposition. I still remember one night a long time ago,
when I was living in Virginia, KOA (850 in Denver, CO) came in with an
extremely strong signal. The next night, it didn't come in at all. I also
remembered, while living in upstate New York about 15 years ago, I picked up
a signal from Colombia that drowned out WBT (Charlotte, NC).