Old February 4th 05, 02:34 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
ups.com...
Glad to hear you like the 150. It is a lot of fun.

I live in NYC and I don't have a lot of trouble with overload. However,
if you do, then you might consider getting a preselector. You wouldn't
have to spring for the expensive Lowe PR-150. MFJ sells one that others
report to work well with the 150.

I'm curious to know more about your antenna situation. Living on the
23rd floor must present some challenges. How large is the dipole you're
using? If you used a random length of wire, would it have to be
indoors? There are some active antennas you might eventually want to
think about, if you're limited in terms of space.

I'm glad you like the audio and the synchronous detection. These, along
with overall build quality, are the primary selling points of this
receiver. And the 8 hz tuning increments in SSB are great, I think.

Even though the receiver is said to work well with rechargeables,
I've decided not to keep batteries in it all the time. I put batteries
in when I need them; otherwise they stay stored outside the receiver.
Call me paranoid!

Steve

Yes I took the batteries out too. And, when I charge them, I'll use an
external charger. Accidents with batteries can happen plus the unit doesn't
have to be taxed with current running thru it all time.

You know what, it seems I may have overstated the overload problems. It
seems to be from only a couple stations I listen to so far. On the rest of
AM band it's OK. SW is no problem at all.

OK my dipole is made up of 4 wires going to the balun. I have about 20 FT of
Radio Shack twinlead running along the top of the terrace. If I close of the
ends on the Twinlead it becomes sort of a loop ant. Works good. But right
now because I'm using the balun, the ends can't be closed. So right now they
are open.

Then, I have a small dipole like 10 FT long on each side. All 4 wires go the
balun. I get a signals from the long wires and the dipole backs it up. Sort
of best of both words. I use only one wire from this setup when using the
FRG-7.

I have two active ants but hardly ever use them. I have a Ameco TPA which
works very well even thought it's old and a MFJ-959B.

BTW, I grew up in Queens N.Y. and lived there for a while.

Lucky