Old February 4th 05, 03:57 PM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Lucky wrote:
snip

I have two active ants but hardly ever use them. I have a Ameco TPA which
works very well even thought it's old and a MFJ-959B.

snip

I had a TPA for a short while and used it with an R8 for a camping trip.

Oddly enough, I found the performance was about the same if the power was
turned
off.

The best product of it's type that I ever found was an Arcom = I forget
the
model number, but it had a pretty good preselector and it performed well
with my
7030+. It came in a sturdy metal case, and could be hooked up to several
antennas besides the internal whip. The only one I ever saw was the one I
bought and eventually sold.

The Skymatch Steve mentioned was another antenna I tried for camping. It
performed well, but I had the version with the "permanently attached"
coax. If
you decide to buy one, I recommend the one with a jack on the bottom so
you can
easily replace the coax when you want or need to. It's not an expensive
option.

Thanks Mark I'll look at both of them.
I found the TPA to work well on some bands but not on others.

Has anyone ever heard of a preselector called the Mizuho SX-3??

Lucky