Old February 5th 05, 02:03 PM
Greg

From: mongo
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:40:44 -0500
Subject: MW conditions, what changed?

hi all. i guess while you are on the subject of mw. i used to pick up
wcfl in chicago on one of those little pocket radios every night when i
was growing up here (also in central ohio). what year did wcfl quit
operations? i went thru a bunch of 9volt batteries come to think of it.

Boy does this thread bring back memories. I was in high school in Bangor,
Maine, ca. 1960, when I got a shirt-pocket Silvertone 6 transistor radio
from Sears for Christmas. My favorite stations for rock music were WKBW,
Buffalo, WPTR, Albany I think, WABC, New York, and, of course, WMEX (?),
Boston, with "Arnie Ginsberg and the Night Train Show". It was a couple
years later that we moved to Florida and I traveled to New Orleans to march
in the Mardi Gras parade with my high school band. I was half asleep one
night when I was startled by a weird howling noise coming over my radio
through the little earplug. Some strange dude named Wolfman Jack!