Old July 16th 03, 01:46 AM
Scott Dorsey

citizensband wrote:
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB, unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Actually, the neat thing is that current technology makes homebrewing
more fun than ever! I can now build one hell of a nice receiver using
DSP technology and doing most of the IF processing in the digital domain,
using off the shelf stuff. And I can get performance that beats anything
on the shelf right now.

What I want right now, though, is a PLL on a chip that will take a simple
BCD or binary encoded frequency, and produce an unmodulated carrier. I
would be surprised if someone hasn't built something like that already
using one of those Sanyo mask-programmed microprocessors with the PLL on
the chip like a lot of CBs use today. Doesn't have to be a PLL, it could
be DDS too, but I want a single chip synthesizer that will tune 160 through
10 meters continuously and I'd like to avoid the microprocessor interface.

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

Whinging? I'm not winging, I'm having a great time! Real technology
makes this a great time to be a ham.
--scott