Old February 8th 05, 03:16 PM
Jon KB1HTW

Been out of town - haven't had time to try anything yet. What size chokes
would you recommend? I can stop by RatShack on the way home, or possibly
detour up to HRO in Salem, NH...

Isn't the 706 supposed to use something like 300mW for tuning? Shouldn't
this be under the threshold for RF interfering with the tuning control lead?
I mean, if I can send Ethernet frames at a rate of 1Gb/s down a Cat 5 cable
error free, you'd think I wouldn't have trouble with 300msec pulses...

Jon

"Ivan Makarov" wrote in message
Jon,

get your control cable choked before trying anything else. You can use a
pair of split core ferrite beads. Put them close to the cable's ends to
stop
induced RF from getting into the circuits.706MKIIG is sensitive to that.
Better then, get a larger core diameter and make as many turns as you can
fit. Same thing applies when you want to extend the control's head
cable.
A better option would be to use a shielded cable, not TP. What happens is
that your cable works as an antenna, feding RF back into the radio which
may
cause unpredictable results. In case of the remote control head this
simply
shuts the radio down when trying to key it.
But you still should be able to get away with your existing TP cable if
you
chop the RF off at both ends.

--

Regards,
Ivan

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:58:31 -0500, "Jon KB1HTW"
wrote:

... I see no discussion of choking either the transmission line nor the
control lines on this page. This is poor coverage (or I simply
scanned it too fast). This may/may not change your situation, but
using them is standard procedure.

.. Richard Clark, KB7QHC