Old July 17th 03, 03:31 PM
Scott Dorsey

Jim Hampton wrote:
Sheesh! 1 GHz with a 10 bit binary counter. Only $350.00 each in quantities
of 1000. Someone care to loan me over 1/3 of a million? Seriously,
however, there are affordable AMD devices but they appear to be in the 50
MHz to under 200 MHz range.

I could do that. Generate a 50-80 Mhz sine wave, then put it into a mixer
with a 50 Hz crystal oscillator and turn it into a DC-30 Mhz signal. I
think I could even get a brickwall high pass at 30 MHz so the whole thing
would be broadband with no tuning.

Of course, you'd lose some stability in the process from those extra
stages, but probably not enough to be a big issue.

Oh, and for 10M FM, of course, I could modulate the local oscillator.
--scott