Old February 8th 05, 07:43 AM
Brenda Ann

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
mike maghakian wrote:
I bought a radio for $215 from someone in canada a few weeks ago and

today I
got a bill from the carrier (purolator) company.

the main items we

estimated customs $15
brokerage fee $18
surety bond fee $30
disbursement of funds $5
FCC filing $15

total was $85 on a $215 radio

for those that have experience with this matter, or actually KNOW what

they
are talking about, I have some questions.

Am I being taken for a ride ?
I didn't sign anything so why should I pay over $50 in fees to these

crumbs
?
Is there a way to fight this ?

thanks

I'll know more about customs in a day or two, as I've got a telescope
arriving from Germany tomorrow or Wednesday.

The German courier charged $200 for insured shipping and it weighs just
over 30 pounds.

It'll be delivered by Fedex, and they required me to fill out a CBP Form
5106 before they could get it released from customs, but my impression
is the only thing I'll be billed for is the actual duty imposed by

customs.

I remember one seller saying something to the effect you'd think we were
at war when it comes to importing radios between the USA and Canada.

I've also noticed some Canadian radio sellers hand carry radios across
the border to ship to US customers.

I've gotten stuff from Germany, England, Portugal, Canada and Latvia and
NEVER have I been charged a customs fee. This includes several ham rigs and
never even HEARD of an FCC filing fee.