Old February 9th 05, 04:43 AM
Mark S. Holden

Good quality non amplified bookshelf speakers are good option for

most

tabletop radios.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Will most tabletop receivers have the power to drive such speakers
without an amplifier? I'd worry that I wouldn't be able to get
reasonable volume without some sort of amplicication.

Also, if no amplification is necessary, what sort of cable do you use
to connect the speaker output of the receiver to the spring clips on
the back of the speaker?

Steve

It really doesn't take very much power to drive a typical speaker to
enough volume to fill a typical room.

Often, an external speaker will be more efficient than the one that's
built into the radio.

On the wire - nothing special - the external speakers I use (Bose vs100)
have the push in spring clips. I use 16 gauge speaker wire, and tin the
wires on the end that goes into the speakers and the other end I put
whatever connector the radio wants, or if it's a screw terminal or
spring clip, I just tin that end too.