Old February 10th 05, 02:19 AM
T-bone

wrote in :

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:59:12 GMT, "T-bone" wrote:

"Lou" wrote in
.to.verio.net:

"T-bone" wrote in message
9.130...

Such intelligent answers.... It is NOT self explanatory, as there
are usually exceptions to any law. Get a life? Stewped? WOW, I'm
impressed. Such intelligent answers. How about providing some
factual answers. Must be bus drivers like the one this person ran
into. Scanners are sold to be used. So, tell me, if YOU with the
intelligent responses are "truly" scanner users - were told you
weren't allowed to be in possession of your scanners in certain
situations, you would just say "Oh, OK!" and give up? I doubt it.
Thanks for the help thus far. Sure hope you're as fortunate when you
need it.

L.

All righty - I'll try to break it down for ya.
Busses are considered a form of mobile transportation so .....
If you use a scanner on a bus, you are using a scanner mobily, which
is prohibited by law.
You can argue technicalities until your blue in the face, but that
won't stop
a judge who goes by the letter of the law from confiscating your
scanner, and
imposing fines.
And yes, the same would apply to a taxi,trolly or train - And even a
bicycle.

Ah, but ya see, in PA there is NO scanner law that I'm aware of -
unless
one is in the works which again, I've not heard of... SO - I'm looking
to see if there are any "transit" issues relating to scanner use
onboard - not counting the fact headphones must be used to prevent
disturbing others. So, that statement doesn't apply to ALL. So, no -
you've not broken anything down. This driver made a statement, I want
to see what others have experienced to either back his claim or put a
hole in his balloon in so far as his claims (not for evidence). I
still say he was off base. Airlines don't allow them. I know that -
due to RF issues mainly. Buses do not have that issue. There are no
"Transit" laws that I'm aware of that prohibits scanner use (even with
headphones) which is what I was asking if others had similar problems
- in states with or without Mobile Scanner laws. I can understand they
stop cars/trucks to check things out. Rarely if ever have I heard of a
bus being stopped to check all "passengers" for such items. Perhaps
you can argue the states with the Mobile Scanning laws, it would
apply.. Cool, I can accept that. But in those with no laws, sorry - it
doesn't wash. They have no basis for which to make such policies.

L.

Well then if mobile use of a scanner is not illegal in PA, your likely
in the clear.
I have no interest in scanning laws in PA.
I'd suggest you call the transit authority to get a definitive answer.

They're the last ones to call for an authorititive answer --
they'll tell you what they want you to do.

While policy does not have the force of law -- as in they
might not be able to have you arrested and tried for it -- they might
be able to deny you the use of the transit facility.

Many places have policies which will not stand up to a legal
challenge. Most obvious is the kind of thing where a drycleaner posts
a sign saying they can sell yor unclaimed garments for coste after
thirty days. In fact, most jurisdictions specify ninety days. If they
sell your stuff before ninety days, you can sue them for the value of
the clothes and prevail. They will point to the sign just to scare you
from making a claim, hence the name "in terrorem" clause.

Lol Ok - I just now figured out how to make a profit off of my soiled
undies.