Old February 10th 05, 08:16 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:50:56 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:06:53 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:41:12 -0500, Dave Hall wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:49:44 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

I am talking to a local on 38 LSB. I am cutting out after about 2-3 seconds of
talking. He says I am fine for about 2-3 seconds, and then just go dead. Not
happening on AM. I switched power mics, with the same result. Also happend on
USB. Then I went and put the radio in the car, and the problem went away. The
local said it's my power supply not having enough juice. But it's 12 amp
constant, 14 amp surge. It's a PyramidPS-14KX. Again, I am running barefoot with
a HR-2510. Is it the power supply? Should I add more caps for filtering?

I need a little more information. Do the radio lights actually dim
when this happens?

No.

Hmmm.... I suspect that this is not a simple insufficient current
"power supply" issue. The power supply may be related, but there's
something else in the mix that we don't know about yet.

I does seem to sound like a power supply issue, but
you should be able to talk farther from the mike (Which allows the
radio to not peak as highly) and if it's a simple supply problem, at
some point the radio will work ok if it isn't putting out full power.

The 2510 should not draw more than about 5 or 6 amps, depending on
whether the radio is totally stock, or whether the ALC has been
cranked open (Which will allow a 45 to 50 watts peak SSB output).

I have not modded this radio. I am waiting on a dummy load. I do have a
question. How high can I DK it and how how can I turn up the ALC, without
overdriving the final?

Is this the older version of the 2510 with the MRF-477 final in it?

If so, the radio is capable of between 45 and 50 watts of peak SSB
power (with the ALC cranked open). For best power with some protection
from distortion, you can safely run it up to between 35 and 40 watts.
It's also capable of about the same peak power on AM, which means that
you should not set the carrier power above 12 watts, if you want to
maintain enough headroom for 100% modulation.

Be careful though, the MRF 477 transistor is no longer manufactured,
and there is no direct replacement for it. So if you blow it, your
choices become limited. You might be able to locate someone who may
still have old stock of the '477 (at a premium price), or you can
retrofit another device, which can be done, but usually at a loss of
peak power out.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Dave I am hearing CBers on AM in the 10 meter cw band right now.
Thanks for helping another unlicensed outlaw get his peaked up tweaked up
illegal rig on the air to join them. Putz.

You're welcome.

Dave
"Sandbagger"