Old February 11th 05, 08:38 PM
gb

"Andy Bullington" wrote in message
I have an old HQ140x I bought non working and after replacing the filter
andvarious other caps and a couple tubes, its up and running. I realigned
the RF section to good effect but I'm suspicious the BFO isn't working
quite right. I've replaced the suspect looking caps in the BFO can with
orange drops and it works but it's a lot trickier tuning in SSB than on my
HQ129x and strong CW signals seem to overload it easily. Any ideas? Thanks.
Andy W1AWB

On older receivers, I often back down the RF gain control to prevent
overload on strong signals --
when using the BFO for SSB or CW reception. For those receivers that do not
have an RF Gain control, I use external attenuation.

gb