Old February 11th 05, 11:15 PM
Pete KE9OA

Unfortunately, many of the scanners have been not so hot............if it
wasn't a case of front end overload, it was a case of reciprocal mixing as a
result of the poor phase noise from the synthesizers. The Regency MX7000 was
an example of a poorly executed receiver. The Yaesu VR5000 is a
joke..........I hooked it up to one of my RF generators (Boonton 103D), and
this receiver was driven into RF clipping at only 50mV. At a 20mV RF level,
I could hear the signal at plus or minus 150kHz. For the record, the
generator has a phase noise characteristic of -140dBc @ 10kHz offset. Low
noise unit, suitable for avionics applications. The Icom R100 and the
AOR2002 weren't bad units............these radios used a passive
doubly-balanced diode ring mixer, but unfortunately, their synthesizers'
performance left a bit to be desired.
The Motorola radios seem to have the best front ends, at least in this
country. There are some overseas suppliers that make good equipment, but
unfortunately, these units are aimed at the land mobile community.
I did pick up the BC896, and for a cheap radio, it isn't bad. They appear to
have added another 30dB of gain to the AM I.F. strip, so at least, airband
performance is better.
Oh, and intermod isn't a problem limited to ghetto areas. It depends on how
well the radio was designed.

Pete

"BDK" wrote in message
In article , says...
In alt.radio.scanner Brian wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:55:59 +0000 (UTC), Luddite

wrote:

move out of the getto you will not have that problem

go and hump your masters leg

The Bearcat BCD396T also offers Close CallT RF Capture Technology,
Dynamic
Memory Management, Fire Tone-Out as well as 5,500 channels and a
frequency
range of 25MHz to 1300MHz, excluding cellular. This new model is
slated to
hit shelves in late summer 2005.

"With the BCD396T, we listened to our consumers and have incorporated
their
feedback on features they wanted, into a high-quality product that
meets the
demands of both professionals, such as law enforcement officials, and

what about a front end that does not overload in urban areas?

Now THAT would be a miracle!!

How long did it take Uniden to finally stop using awful battery packs in
their handhelds? I'll be dead by the time they get a handheld that has
really decent RF performance.

BDK