Old February 14th 05, 08:46 AM
dxAce

Michael Black wrote:

) writes:
Allied Radio turned into Radio Shack,didn't they.I have an old Allied
Radio catalog floating around here somewhere.Hey,sometimes I forget
which one of my webtv addies I happen to be useing (I have Six,count em
Six) at the moment.Hence my flowerinThWater thingy.
cuhulin

No. Tandy briefly owned Allied, having already bought Radio Shack.
There was a brief time in 1971 (I seem to recall checking the magazines
once and it changed within that year) when Radio Shack was called "Allied
Radio Shack" but only briefly. From when this has come up before,
Radio Shack had to sell off Allied, because of conglomeration laws or
something like that, and it stood alone for some years/decades until
it was bought up by someone else, though it remained as Allied.

"Allied Radio (now known as Allied Electronics) is a company with a long eight
decade
history. It was founded in Chicago, IL. in 1928. Its purpose was to distribute
radio parts for
Columbia Radio Corp. By 1932, Allied was selling electronic parts by catalog.
Storefront sales
operations were established with the goal of selling to amateur radio operators
and electronics
experimenters. During WWII, Allied devoted itself to the war effort by handling
government
contracts and high-priority industrial needs. This was Allied's first real
experience in industrial
electronics. After the war, Allied continued to sell to the consumer and
industrial markets.
Sometime around 1962, Allied Electronics was created as a subsidiary of Allied
Radio. In 1971,
Allied was acquired by Tandy (now Radio Shack Corp.) and moved its headquarters
to Fort
Worth, Texas. Around 1981, Spartan Manufacturing acquired the company. In 1997,
Avnet
took over ownership. In 1999, Allied Electronics was acquired by
Electrocomponents plc of
the United Kingdom. Allied Electronics continues to sell electronic components
by catalog and
Internet ordering.

Allied Radio produced a line of kits under the Knight label. They were called
Knight-Kits.
Although not as extensive a line as Heathkit, they had many offerings in test
equipment.
Amateur radio, SWL, audio, entertainment and educational/experimenter kits
rounded out their
product line".

via http://www.qsl.net/kb7rgg/

dxAce