Old February 14th 05, 11:40 PM
Michael

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message
OK, I don't seem to be making myself clear, so I'll restart from the
get-go.
Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

Slave states are just plain immoral. The fact that many nations accecpted
the immorality of slavery doesn't make it less immoral. Yes, the US was
part of that immoral group.

Yes, you are 100 % correct here. I'm with you all the way on that one.

Slave states have sloooooooooow technological progress. Give the Romans a
couple of hundred years and they ought to build better buildings than the
Greeks. Big deal. No era in human history has learned as much and has
had
as much technological progress as the era which commenced with the
beginning
with the antislavery movement in the late 18th century. This movement was
part of a larger movement which believed all people are equal in God's
eyes.
Am I wrong about any of that?

I'm glad slavery is gone. 100 %. A slave state is a defective and immoral
state. No question. But to deny the accomplishments of a state or culture
because it had slavery is to murder the truth. When I speak of the ancient
Romans, it is always nice to remember who their contemporaries were and who
came before and after them. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Parthian, Huns
and the entire hose of other ancient cultures including just about every
classic Mesoamerican civilization had slavery. Get it ??? We are talking
about the ancient world. They all had slavery. The Romans also happened to
have a lot of positive and influential components to their civilization.

If I recall correctly the Confederacy's Virginia/Merrimac was a
technologically simple, hulking ironclad. The Union's Monitor had most of
the actual technological innovations, including a rotating turret. Am I
wrong about that, as well?

Your correct about that. The Monitor was by far the more innovative and
technical of the two. The revolving turret was the primary innovation. I'm
also going to point out, that the south developed the first "modern"
submarine called the CSS Hunley. May naval historians consider the Hunley
to be the most remarkable naval weapons development of the entire war. Sure
it killed everyone that served on it, but it was a remarkable piece of
technology. Please done insinuate me into the position of being pro
slavery. That is as far from the truth as is possible. My point is that
you cant write off chunks of history just because they came from cultures or
states that were defective. Yes, they were defective, indeed, but in the
case of the Romans, remember the times they came from and dont bother trying
to burry volumes of recorded history.

Slavery is not good. It never was and never will be. Free societies are
more conducive to technological growth. Regardless, the Romans made a huge
contribution to the future. If they never fell, it is likely that they
would have abolished slavery. During that later part of the empire, blood
sports were banned, slavery would have been too. The US abolished slavery.
Do you think that all other cultures are arrested and incapable of positive
social growth ???

Now, let me ask you.... Should we just burry the accomplishments and
influences of the Roman Republic/Empire ??? If we did that, Europe as we
know it would be a totally different place. There would be no French
language, no Italian language, no Spanish.. etc. There would also be no USA
without the Roman Republic/Empire to precede it.

And, no, I dont like slavery.

Michael