Old February 15th 05, 12:10 AM
Don Del Grande

Judah wrote:

Honestly, I have enjoyed listening to shortwave for a number of years,
and still enjoy it very much. Radio Japan, BBC, Radio New Zealand,
CBC, Radio Tiawan, CHina...etc.

Approxiately how much longer will broadcast shortwave, be around?

Among other things, it depends on whether or not the stories about
satellite radio being replaced with pretty much nationwide wi-fi
broadcast antennas by, say, 2015 are accurate. If the stations you
mention are available to pretty much anyone with a digital receiver,
or even a cell phone, then shortwave's low point gets closer and
closer. (I won't say "demise" because it won't die out entirely,
unless broadcasting is legislated out of business for some incredibly
strange reason.) Until then, there will always be a need for
alternative voices to be heard, and shortwave seems to be the only
medium with anything resembling "open availability".

(On the other hand, some organizations may feel that replacing
shortwave with "local rebroadcasting" is a good thing, especially when
it includes the occasional "signal failure" when somebody is saying
something that somebody in the USA doesn't want Joe Lunchpail and
Sally Soapopera to hear...)

-- Don