Old February 15th 05, 11:06 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Someone wrote;
Q codes are for morse only. People who use Q codes on voice or text

are
boring.

I agree that generally there is no reason to use Q-codes on voice.

But there are 600,000 + hams in the USA most using Q-Codes on voice

even
VHF, and ya ain't gonna change that, so I suggest you know the basic

ones
when they come at you.

I don't use Q-codes on voice.

But it's a good idea to know them anyway.

Example: New folks coming on repeaters will hear about 5 or 6

commonly used
Q-codes - best learn them or wonder what the hell they are talking

about.
QSL, QSY, QTH, QRM, QRN, QRX, etc

Yes.

Q-Signals are brevity codes as is the 10 codes. They are useful to

increase
thruput and clarity, that is why the police and RACES use them on

voice.

Except in may cases they are *longer* on voice than the equivalent
words. For example, "QSL" is three syllables but "roger" is only two.
"QRX" is three but "wait" is one. Etc.

With Hams it is mostly jargon and tradition. Just like the rest of

our
language -- if ya get my drift - OK.

Exactly. I don't use 'em on voice but I'm not going to get upset with
someone who does.

You will have an impossible task trying to eliminate Q-signals on Ham

radio
voice modes --- QSL ?

roger!

The best way to eliminate their use on voice is simply to set an
example. What a concept, huh?

73 de Jim, N2EY