Old February 16th 05, 01:15 AM
Dee Flint

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

Packet was/is so incredibly slow compared to other digital
transmissions. When I became a Ham, I looked at it and decided that at
it's transmission speed, there wasn't a lot of use for it.

When packet first came out, it was fun to do. That's when
dial up modems did 1200 baud. But that was 15 years ago.
If the packet BBSes now did 56K or faster (not by modulation
of the audio feeding an FM rig, but skillful modulation of
the carrier itself (an RF modem)) it might still be interesting.

Again the FCC is barred from controlling
the content of any station.

They have the "no pecuniary interest" rule, which is a
regulation on content. Not that I think that that rule is
bad; it protects the ham bands from being taken over
by taxi cab and pizza delivery traffic and such.

But somehow it doesn't have 1st amendment issues.

That's because there are other venues for that. Freedom of speech doesn't
even enter into it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE