Old August 28th 03, 11:49 AM
W5DXP

Peter O. Brackett wrote:
In a nutshell, photons do not cancel. :-)

Is this quote from _Optics_, by Hecht incorrect? "Unlike ordinary
objects, photons cannot be seen directly; what is known of them
comes from observing the results of their being either created or
annihilated."

Waves are an illusion, they are not the way Mother Nature works!

Note that waves can pass through two slits at the same time. :-)

A footnote from _Optics_: "... although the light-is-corpuscular
model has wide acceptance ... and is a crucial part of the
contemporary discourse, like almost everything else in physics,
it is not yet established beyond all doubt. See, for example,
the summary article by R. Kidd, J. Ardini, and A. Anton,
"Evolution of the modern photon", Am. J. Phys. 57 (1), 27 (1989)."

Deal with it!

Accept on faith the existence of God and virtual photons? :-)
To me, God and virtual photons seem to both be band aids for
things not yet understood by man. To me, the following two
statements don't seem all that different.

1. Although completely undetectable, virtual photons have to be the
vehicle by which electrons communicate their presence to each other.

2. Although completely undetectable, God has to be the vehicle by
which everything was created.

It just occurred to me that virtual photons might explain telepathy.
What do you think?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp