Old February 16th 05, 01:36 AM
Michael

Default Got to try the NRD-545

Hiya... I finally got to try an NRD-545. A friend that recently purchased
one lent it to me for the evening. It didn't take as long as I expected to
learn the basics of the radio. I've been using it with an external speaker
and both of my two outdoor antennas. My one single impression so far is that
it is over priced and over rated. It is NO more sensitive or selective then
my R-75. I also find the audio to be anemic and tinny. The DSP technology
is a help on some of the weak and messy signals I've tried, but it is by no
means a magic cure. I was thinking about getting one last year and I'm glad
I didn't. So far the best thing about this radio is how it looks. It makes
my R-75 look like an ugly duckling, but it doesn't make it sound like one.
I admit I've only had it for a few hours and I may be missing part of the
story, but I dont like it better then my R-75. It is not a better DX'ing
rig and it dosent sound better on boradcst. Not even if it was the same
price would I prefer it.

Michael