Old February 16th 05, 06:26 AM
Mark

"Michael" wrote in message
Hiya... I finally got to try an NRD-545. A friend that recently

purchased
one lent it to me for the evening. It didn't take as long as I expected

learn the basics of the radio. I've been using it with an external

speaker
and both of my two outdoor antennas. My one single impression so far is

that
it is over priced and over rated. It is NO more sensitive or selective

then
my R-75. I also find the audio to be anemic and tinny. The DSP

technology
is a help on some of the weak and messy signals I've tried, but it is by

no
means a magic cure. I was thinking about getting one last year and I'm

glad
I didn't. So far the best thing about this radio is how it looks. It

makes
my R-75 look like an ugly duckling, but it doesn't make it sound like one.
I admit I've only had it for a few hours and I may be missing part of the
story, but I dont like it better then my R-75. It is not a better DX'ing
rig and it dosent sound better on boradcst. Not even if it was the same
price would I prefer it.

Michael

Michael,

Too bad you didn't like it. Took me about a month before I got the hang of
my NRD 545. And still learning. I'm very impressed with JRC stuff.

I have the 545 hooked up to a stereo system and the audio is excellent this
way. It's got some really brilliant features that take a while to get used
to, for me at least.

But I have no experience with Icom, so can't compare. The NRD545 is radio
people seem to love or hate.

My won't be going anywhere.

Mark.
Auckland