Old February 16th 05, 03:43 PM
me

Ed...

Nope, the window is not feasible. There is an awning type window with
metal frame but its location and installation make it unfeasible.
Penetrating the wall nearby, however, is feasible, and the recent tips
to use coax as the feedthrough medium sound really good.
Thanks for your reply, this antenna should be operational soon!
73
Dan
K0DAN

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:55:11 -0500, "Edward A. Feustel"
wrote:

"me" wrote in message
.. .
After many years of experimenting with coax fed wire antennas I am
taking my first plunge at open wire line.

To get into shack, I need to go through exterior steel siding,
exterior wood siding & plywood, a layer of insulation, then interior
sheetrock and wood paneling. Assume I need about 4-6" of safe
feedthrough so that standoffs can be mounted on the walls oustide
and inside the shack.

I generally run 100 to 1500W output...at full legal limit probably
3KV on the feedline...am not crazy about the idea of setting my house
on fire due to HV arc over.

Am looking for the old style porcelain feedthrough isnulators, but so
far have not found same.

Local Home Depot has thin PVC tubing (as in sink/toilet stems), vinyl
tubing, welding rod tubes, etc. What are the dielectric properties of
these, and the high voltage breakdown voltage...???

Seems like glass, porcelain, or ceramic tubing would be best
feedthrough insulator, but where to find?

Are any modern day materials found in Lowes or Home Depot safe from
arcing and also efficient for RF?

Thanks in davance & 73,

Dan (K0DAN)

You don't by any chance have a window close at hand that you could run the
feeders through?
This really simplifies the situation. That is the way I get my feeder in and
out of the house.
Ed, N5EI