Old February 16th 05, 06:09 PM
Brian Hill

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the 5.7 - 10 MHz band to
come back to life on my Hammarlund HQ-129-X. I've got the user manual
which includes a schematic. When I got the receiver several months ago
I needed to "wiggle" the bandswitch knob to get this band to work. The
band then worked fine, especially my frequency of interest around 7.040
for cw. All the other bands worked without any "wiggling" of the
bandswitch knob.

Now after not being used for about 60 days no amount of "wiggling" will
get the 5.7 - 10 MHz band to come alive. It is as if the antenna is
disconnected. All the other bands work fine.

I've been taking a close look at S2 which is connected to the
bandswitch knob. S2 actually has six rotary switches, each with front
and rear contacts. I thought some spraying with contact cleaner, or
light swabbing with contact cleaner with q-tips would bring the band
back. I have had no success. All the other bands still work fine, but
not the 5.7 - 10 MHz band which is the one I want to use.

Any thoughts on what steps I could take next.

Thanks,

Bill Bird
Chesterfield, MO
www.billbird.com
kg0yj at arrl dot net

Try a good cleaner like Caig Pro gold or DeOxit. It may be a bad solder
joint too. Try touching up those connections with your soldering iron. I
some times use a nonconductive stick to lightly move the wafers and look for
intermittents, but don't damage the contacts, just lightly touch each one so
it contacts the moving conductor. Good luck

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-