Old February 16th 05, 08:47 PM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:58:27 -0600, Todd Daugherty wrote:

There are radio that allow higher speed packet including 9600 and 56K. The
problem with packet here was the user frequency was being over ran by BBS's
automatic fowarding and that's what drove off all the users. 1200 baud would
work if the network was set up right.

For our county-wide ARES/RACES operation we have a four-node local
network that uses four VHF packet frequencies (1200 baud) and four
pairs of UHF frequencies (9600 baud), the latter for inter-node and
backbone automatic forwarding. We have about 40 users - ten "served
agencies" and thirty individual participants. The net is "up" 24/7
and carries a fair amount of inter-user messages -- classic ham radio
traffic handling. Several of us including myself have a dedicated
radio/TNC/computer running 24/7 just for this purpose.

No reason that it can't work.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest